You know when you like someone and there is this grace period where you’re just happy because nothing else seems to matter? It doesn’t matter that you barely know her, it doesn’t matter if she doesn’t feel the same, or if nothing ever becomes of it. You just like her. That is all (for now). And it feels like best thing in the world. You think about her and smile like a fool while standing in line at the airport immigration. You think about her when a good song comes on the car stereo and it all seems so befitting. You think about her when you meet attractive girls and are not in the least bit interested in them.
It’s a temporary buffer but I’ve managed to be stay in it for two weeks now and being so consistently happy doesn’t come along very often. I made this mix to encapsulate
1. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Underwater (You and Me)
2. Neutral Milk Hotel - King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 1 And your mom would stick a fork right into daddy’s shoulder And dad would throw the garbage all across the floor As we would lay and learn what each other’s bodies were for And this is the room one afternoon I knew I could love you And from above you, how I sank into your soul Into that secret place where no one dares to go
3. Beat Happening - Tiger Trap
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Soft Shock Unknown, talk to unknown Ever, lasts forever Well, it’s a sharp shock to your soft side Summer moon Catch your shut eye In your room, in my room
5. Minus the Bear - Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse
6. The Mary Onettes - Explosions
7. Lemuria - Pants
8. The La’s - There She Goes
Please excuse me if all of this is insufferably saccharine.
Minus the Bear + Lemuria + Beat Happening = It’s a winner.
And my answer is no, I don’t know that feeling, but I’m sure like every couple ever, our “song” will be Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse.